Urinary Retention Treatment in The Villages, FL
Board-certified urogynecologist Dr. Uzoma Nwaubani provides treatment for urinary retention at her urogynecology clinic in Wildwood, FL. If you are experiencing symptoms of urinary retention, contact NUWA WORLD to discuss how the Medtronic treatment system can provide relief. Dr. Nwaubani will take the time to discuss your condition and the medical and surgical treamtents available based on your goals and lifestyle. If you are located throughout The Villages, Ocala, Summerfield, Oxford, Lake County, Osceola County, or Orlando, please call (352) 633-0703 or request an appointment through our secure online form.
There are many ways to manage bladder control problems. Remember, if conservative treatments don’t deliver the results you need, you have more options.
Conservative treatments can help some people but may not work very well (or at all) for others. All of these are relatively simple behavioral changes that you may already be doing.
- Diet and exercise: Changes may include decreasing your caffeine intake and getting more exercise.
- Bladder retraining: Also called biofeedback, this involves delaying going to the bathroom and sticking to a strict schedule.
- Pelvic floor strengthening: This can be accomplished through Kegel exercises, which involve repeatedly contracting and relaxing the muscles of the pelvic floor.
When lifestyle changes fail to deliver the results you want, oral medications are the next step. These medications can help control symptoms but may cause other issues.
You have to remember to take these medications every day. Some side effects can be unpleasant, such as dry mouth, blurry vision, constipation, and hypertension.2 Other side effects are more serious. In fact, data suggests that one class of drugs for OAB (anticholinergics) may increase risk of dementia in elderly people.3 Even more important, these medications don't always work. In one survey, 72% of people said they stopped taking their medication after just six months.4
If conservative treatments don’t deliver the results you want, you have more options.
Medtronic Bladder Control Therapy Delivered by The InterStim™ System
- Try it during an evaluation
- Proven long-term relief5
Implanting an InterStim™ system has risks similar to any surgical procedure, including swelling, bruising, bleeding, and infection. Talk with your doctor about ways to minimize these risks. Complications can occur with the evaluation, including movement of the wire, technical problems with the device, and some temporary pain. Your doctor or nurse will provide you with the information regarding how to operate the test device and inform you of other precautions related to the evaluation and activity restrictions.
Learn More About Medtronic Bladder Control Therapy Delivered by the InterStim System
Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.
*Medtronic Bladder Control Therapies do not treat obstructive urinary retention.
1. American Urological Association. Diagnosis and treatment of non-neurogenic overactive bladder (OAB) in adults: an AUA/SUFU guideline. www.auanet.org/guidelines/overactive-bladder-(oab)-guideline. Accessed August 5, 2020.
2. Haab F, Castro‐Diaz D. (2005), Persistence with antimuscarinic therapy in patients with overactive bladder. Int J Clin Prac, 59: 931-937.
3. Gray S, Anderson M, Dublin S et al. Cumulative use of strong anticholinergics and incident dementia. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(3):401-407.
4. Yeaw J, Benner J, Walt JG et al. Comparing adherence and persistence across 6 chronic medication classes. J Manag Care Pharm. 2009:15(9): 724-736.
5. Siegel S, Noblett K, Mangel J, et al. Five year follow-up results of a prospective, multicenter study in overactive bladder subjects treated with sacral neuromodulation. 2018; 199(1), 229-236.
Schedule Your Urinary Retention Treatment in The Villages Today!
If you have been diagnosed with urinary retention, contact board-certified urogynecologist Dr. Uzoma Nwaubani to discuss your symptoms and the treatment options available. To schedule a consultation at our urogynecology clinic in Wildwood, FL, please call (352) 633-0703 or request an appointment online.